The first symptom is of course pain. It can be felt in the back of the mouth near the ears or in the upper and lower jaw. If you are in pain it is most likely that the third molar is advancing into the alveolar bone and gum tissue. You may feel pain and then nothing for a few days and then pain again.
Problems with painful, tender, inflamed or easily bleeding gums in the back of the mouth can be related to wisdom teeth: symptoms very easy to spot and quite common. Either way, it’s best to see your dentist as these can also be signs of periodontitis.
An infection can also occur especially in the case of semi-impacted teeth.
It is therefore better to consult your dentist in the following cases:
- Swelling of the gums
- Localized redness or warmth
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Presence of a cyst
- A pulsating sensation near the ears
- Stiff jaw
- Difficulty opening your mouth
How does wisdom tooth surgery go?
This is the often dreaded part. But we reassure you right away, you will not feel anything during the wisdom teeth surgery in Lahore. This is usually done in the practitioner’s office. If there are several teeth to be extracted, this is done over several appointments (two on average).
You will usually benefit from local anesthesia, but depending on the difficulty of the extraction and your possible anxiety, you may also be offered general anesthesia. The intervention requires an incision of the gum and then the practitioner will release the tooth by milling the bone. It may be necessary to section the tooth before extracting it. The gum is closed using absorbable sutures which disappear spontaneously in less than 3 weeks.
The duration of an extraction varies but it is on average 15 to 30 minutes per tooth. The practitioner then gives you instructions that you must follow to the letter.
As we said above, it is also possible to have them extracted under general anesthesia. In this case, you will need to meet with an anesthesiologist beforehand. In the majority of cases, hospitalization is on an outpatient basis (over a single day without a night in the hospital). You arrive in the morning and leave in the afternoon.
After extraction, what to do?
After the extraction you must:
- Regularly place an ice pack on your cheek to reduce its swelling
- Do not mouthwash on the first day
- Swallow your saliva normally and do not spit
- Eat (soft foods) and drink at room temperature on the first day
- Analgesics and corticosteroids will be prescribed for the pain. Do not hesitate to take them if you are in pain
- No smoking
- Continue to maintain good oral hygiene the day after the operation
- It is common to bleed during the following hours. You can apply a sterile compress to the area and bite for about ten minutes.
During the days following the wisdom teeth surgery in Lahore; it is of course common to have difficulty opening your mouth. Don’t worry, this only lasts for a few days, and many people experience almost no pain after the operation.
For more details, please visit: idealsmiledentistry.pk